Over the years, Cultivating Community has had the opportunity to collaborate with many teachers around the country and to be part of a large “hive mind” generating garden-based lesson plans for elementary school students.
Below is a curated set of lesson plans for elementary school teachers who work in Maine or other northern climes and who want to offer garden-based education in the spring, fall and winter. Please enjoy using the lesson plans and contact us with any questions.
Fall Garden Lessons
- Introduction to the Garden (PDF) (Word)
- Six Plant Parts (PDF) (Word)
- Feeding Our Garden (PDF) (Word)
- Pumpkins! (PDF) (Word)
- Planting Garlic (PDF) (Word)
- Fall Apple Tree Care (PDF) (Word)
Winter Cooking Lessons
- Eat the Rainbow (PDF) (Word)
- Kale Salad & Knife Safety (PDF) (Word)
- Blueberries & Food Miles (PDF) (Word)
- Sweet Potatoes & Raw vs. Processed (PDF) (Word)
- Cranberry Apple Sauce (PDF) (Word)
- Party Dip: Beet Hummus (PDF) (Word)
Spring Garden Lessons
- Planting Peas & Wish Flags (PDF) (Word)
- Photosynthesis (PDF) (Word)
- Pollination (PDF) (Word)
- Three Sisters (PDF) (Word)
Download the Full Lesson Series here.
We would like to acknowledge other great garden curricula that have helped inspire and form the lesson plans we use at Cultivating Community: