Our farm share program runs for 16 weeks between July and October (8-week shares are available, too). Family shares can feed four or more, and single shares feed two people (or one vegetarian). Weekly deliveries include eight or more varieties of locally grown veggies and herbs.
CSA programs like ours are one of the best ways to support local farmers in Maine and one of the most affordable ways to buy chemical-free, healthfully-grown local produce.
We offer a number of size and season options including full and half-season CSA shares and full and half-sized shares. You can pay online with your credit card, mail in your registration form with a check, or use your SNAP benefits and pay every other week with your EBT card. Please review the page below for information about our program and to sign up!
Signup deadlines and other important dates are provided in the table below:
2017 Important Dates*
Dates of full share
Dates of summer share
Dates of autumn share
|Individuals||June 1 for Full/Summer, August 1 for Autumn||July 3 – Oct. 22||July 3 – Aug. 27||Aug. 28 – Oct. 22|
|Group Sites||May 1 for Full/Summer, August 1 for Autumn||July 3 – Oct. 22||July 3 – Aug. 27||Aug. 28 – Oct. 22|
*Dates are subject to change. Because the climate and weather can be unpredictable here in Maine, we may start CSA shares a week later or end a week earlier.
**Registration may close earlier if our we reach our maximum share capacity before the registration deadline. Sign up soon to reserve your spot in our CSA!
Prices and Seasons:
2017 CSA Prices
Full Season CSA
|Family Share (feeds 3-5)||$290||$290||$560|
|Single Share (feeds 1-2)||$145||$145||$280|
2017 CSA Public Pickup Locations*:
We offer CSA pickups at over 15 locations in southern Maine as well as at numerous offices and businesses! For more information about our CSA office & business delivery program, contact us at [email protected].
*Days and times below are subject to change.
Fresh Start Farms delivers shares to:
- Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland (Westbrook) – Thursdays 11 – 5
- Augusta, Viles Arboretum — Fridays 12 – 4pm
- Bangor YMCA
- Bath Farmers’ Market — Saturdays
- Biddeford, YMCA of Northern York County – Wednesday afternoons
- Brunswick Landing — Tuesdays from 2 – 4pm & Wednesdays from 7:30 – 10:30am
- Damariscotta Farmers’ Market — Fridays 9 – noon
- Freeport, Casco Bay YMCA – Wednesdays
- Kennebunk Farmers’ Market — Saturdays 8 – 1
- Lewiston, Kennedy Park Farm Stand — Tuesday afternoons
- Lewiston Farmers’ Market – Sundays 10 – 1
- Lewiston Health Club and Spa — Mondays 5 – 7pm
- New Gloucester, Pineland YMCA – Wednesdays
- Portland Food Coop – FULL for 2017
- Portland Munjoy Hill / East End – Wednesday afternoons/evenings
- Peaks Island (SUMMER ONLY) – Wednesdays
- Portland, Monument Square – Wednesdays – 9 – 1
- Portland, Deering Oaks Park – Saturdays 7 – 1
- Portland, Workout Anytime – Thursdays 12 – 5
- Portland, Whole Foods Farm Stand – Tuesdays 1 – 5
- Portland YMCA – Wednesday afternoons/evenings
- South Portland Farmers’ Market – Sundays 10 – 2
Seasonal Produce Availability
The following chart indicates many of the crops your CSA farmer may grow and when these crops typically become available in the season. Please keep in mind that farmers may often specialize, so while you will receive a diverse array of vegetables each week, it’s not guaranteed that all vegetables listed below will be available to every customer.
Tips for a Positive CSA Experience:
- Please plan to pick up your bag at the same site for the full duration of the program. You can change your pickup site location up until the first date of delivery.
- Please ask friends and family members to assist with pickups that may otherwise be missed. We are sorry to say we cannot refund missed pickups.
- Please share with others! If you don’t like certain items in your bag and would like to trade, there are a few options depending on where your pickup site is located. If you are picking up at a farm stand or farmer’s market, you can ask your farmer to switch for something else. If your CSA is being delivered to your office, we encourage you to set up an inter-office vegetable trade.
- We will email you a list of what is included in your share every week. Because growing vegetables can be unpredictable, we can’t dictate exactly what will be in each farmer’s share before deliveries are made.
- Please visit us online for great resources! We offer recipes for preparing the array of vegetables that appear in your bag every week as well as a vegetable ID guide.
- Help us make this work for you financially! We understand that upfront payments can be a challenge for some households. Because farmers pack such cost-effective shares, we encourage folks to split the cost with a friend or neighbor. In some cases we accept payment plans in lieu of payment in full upfront. To inquire about a payment plan, contact [email protected]. If you would like to get in touch regarding CSA shares for SNAP recipients, please also contact [email protected].
An exciting new option for CSA members at select CSA sites! In addition to weekly farm shares, CSA Plus members also receive access to free on-site services and skill-building workshops provided by Cultivating Community. Topics are determined by CSA member interest and may include A-Z vegetable prep, nutrition resources, cooking tips and storage tricks, creative new recipes, and so much more. CSA Plus is customized for each site so that CSA members decide what to learn and how to learn it — whether web-based/in-person, weekly/monthly, or hands-on/demonstration. CSA Plus is intended for both new and seasoned CSA members. The goal is simple: to help you make the most out of your CSA experience and walk away feeling more excited than ever about fresh vegetables!
Thank you Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation for supporting this exciting expansion of our CSA program!