We offer a number of size and season options including full and half-season CSA shares and single and family sized shares. You can pay online with your credit card, mail in your registration form with a check, or use your SNAP benefits and pay monthly with your EBT card.
We encourage you to sign up as soon as possible. Last year we had to close registration due to an unanticipated spike in signups. Your early registration is also beneficial for your farmer. Signup deadlines and other important dates are provided in the table below:
2015 Important Dates
Dates of full share
Dates of summer share
Dates of autumn share
|Individuals||June 8*||Jul. 5 – Oct. 24||Jul. 5 – Aug. 29||Aug. 30 – Oct. 24|
|Offices/Businesses||May 1||Jul 5. – Oct. 24||Jul. 5 – Aug. 29||Aug. 30 – Oct. 24|
*We may close registration sooner if our maximum share capacity is reached
Prices and Seasons
2015 CSA Prices
(July & August)
(September & October)
Full Season CSA
(July – October)
We also bring our own twist to the traditional CSA experience by making it more convenient for you to pick up your shares every week. We offer CSA pickups at over 15 locations in southern Maine as well as at numerous offices and businesses! For more information about our CSA office & business delivery program, contact us at [email protected].
2015 CSA Public Pick Up Locations:
*Please note we have filled up at some locations.
Days and times below are subject to change. Fresh Start Farms’ farmers deliver shares to:
Bath Farmers’ Market — Sat. 8:30 — noon — Still accepting members!
Damariscotta Farmers’ Market — Fri. 9 – noon — Still accepting members!
Freeport, Casco Bay YMCA – Wed. pm — FULL, sorry
Kennebunk Farmers’ Market — Sat. 8 – 1 — Still accepting members!
Lewiston, Kennedy Park Farm Stand — Tues.— Still accepting members!
Lewiston Farmers’ Market – Sun. 10 – 1 — Still accepting members!
New Gloucester, Pineland YMCA – Wed. pm — FULL, sorry
Portland Food Coop – Wed. — FULL, sorry
Portland Munjoy Hill / East End – Wed. — FULL, sorry
Peaks Island (SUMMER ONLY) – Wed. — FULL, sorry
Portland, Monument Square – Wed. 9 – 1 — FULL, sorry
Portland, Deering Oaks Park – Sat. 7 – 1 — FULL, sorry
Portland, Whole Foods Farm Stand – Tues. 1 – 5 — FULL, sorry
Portland YMCA – Wed. pm — FULL, sorry
South Portland Farmers’ Market – Sun. 10 – 2 — Still accepting members!
South Portland Farm Stand, Redbank – Thurs. pm — Still accepting members!
Seasonal Produce Availability
The following chart indicates many of the crops your CSA farmer may grow and when these crops typically become available in the season. Please keep in mind that farmers may often specialize, so while you will receive a diverse array of vegetables each week, it’s not guaranteed that all vegetables listed below will be available to every customer.
Tips for a Positive CSA Experience:
- Please plan to pick up your bag at the same site for the full duration of the program. You can change your pickup site location up until the first date of delivery.
- Please ask friends and family members to assist with pickups that may otherwise be missed. We are sorry to say we cannot refund missed pickups.
- Please share with others! If you don’t like certain items in your bag and would like to trade, there are a few options depending on where your pickup site is located. If you are picking up at a farm stand or farmer’s market, you can ask your farmer to switch for something else. If your CSA is being delivered to your office, we encourage you to set up an inter-office vegetable trade.
- We will email you a list of what is included in your share every week. Because growing vegetables can be unpredictable, we can’t dictate exactly what will be in each farmer’s share before deliveries are made.
- Please visit us online for great resources! We offer recipes for preparing the array of vegetables that appear in your bag every week as well as a vegetable ID guide. For this and more visit freshstartfarms.blogspot.com!
- Help us make this work for you financially! We understand that upfront payments can be a challenge for some households. Because farmers pack such cost- effective shares, we encourage folks to split the cost with a friend or neighbor. In general we don’t offer work-trades to subsidize the cost of your share, but if you are interested in this option, contact [email protected]. If you would like to get in touch regarding CSA shares for SNAP recipients, please also contact [email protected].