Thinking about how to get fresh vegetables this summer from a local farmer? Click here to find out more details and sign up for a Fresh Start Farms 2013 CSA share.
Through our Youth Growers, Grow Internships, and school partnerships we have engaged more than 6,000 Maine youth, using food as an empowering lens to explore issues of sustainability, stewardship, and justice.
Our 2012 Season Recap!
This has been Cultivating Community's best season yet!
- Our Growing Access/Growing Communities initiative at farm stands and farmers’ markets put over $101,000 worth of healthy food on the tables of more than 4,000 low-income Maine families.
- 1,025 young people had access to intensive training in leadership and stewardship while learning where their food comes from—and growing some of it themselves!
- 24 new American families walked a real pathway out of poverty by starting businesses in our farmer training program that earned them about $180,000.
- 71 families had community garden plots somewhere in our farm and garden network.
- 145 Maine seniors got access to Senior Farm Shares, and another 20 received our souped up ElderShares.
- 216 members of our Fresh Start Farms CSA received a season’s worth of the freshest vegetables and were able to pick up their food at 27 sites throughout southern and central Maine. Seventeen of these members participated in our CSA program using their SNAP benefits to purchase reduced price shares.
Please consider supporting us this holiday season so we can continue to expand our impact in the community.